I’m writing a new poetry chapbook and it addresses what is happening in Ukraine from the perspective of a Lithuanian-American (as we watch news events unfold daily, the West and Russia’s once-somewhat-civil ties unravel). I’m using the metaphor of lack of clarity (or vision, or even precision) via a mythological group of female Baltic snipers. I’m already deep into it, having begun it several months back in the spring. I found a potential cover by a phenomenal artist, Chelsea Brown (see her work below), from the West coast. I’m waiting to hear from multiple trusted sources regarding feedback on this manuscript. My goal with it is to tap into some of my cultural past and utilize it as a place to begin writing poems from (now blatantly, whereas before this, subtly)…I am inspired by having worked with Nikky Finney almost 14 years ago in a summer workshop. It’s time to tap into the Lithuanian voice inside me in such a way that it confronts my cultural duality — who was I before, hidden, who am I now that I see the Baltic nations once again potentially threatened by a former Soviet KGB “leader” determined to bring us back into the throes of another Cold War…
I uploaded 23 tracks from my OLD OLD spoken word EP, Opaque Lunacy here.
Opaque Lunacy was a spoken word project from 2004-2008.
I am reading poems here from a never-released collection (23 poems). The quality is just ok (I did most of the mixing myself and I’m not a sound engineer by any means)!
MY NEW BOOK — NOW AVAILABLE ON AMAZON!
So I have a few back-dated as well as TBD announcements:
1. December 2013: the awesome Brian Lucas (Oakland, CA)—who puts together a lovely project called POETBOOK—published a few of my poems from Professional Poetry (accompanied with cool visuals). Check it out here.
3. My newest book, Professional Poetry, IS OUT ON AMAZON. Buy it, love it, kiss it, hold it.
4. In a few months, I have a short statement + poems coming out in Atticus Review (alongside my partner-in-crime, Larry Sawyer).
5. Was just asked today by Ping Pong for work; I’ll be featuring the poems I’d written (and elaborated upon since) in collabs with conceptual artist, Tashi Ko (based in Vancouver/Seattle).
6. Book trade with the Philly prince of ixnay press!
7. My next book, SPINY RETINAS, is due out next month (hopefully) on Mutable Sound. So. Very. Excited.
I have some old/new poems from my collection, HONEY IS A SHE, up at Requited Journal.